Maria Gertrude                                 

Born August 27th.1850 at 9 Upper Bedford Place, London.
Married December.7th 1877 in Sydney, New South Wales
to William Usborne Moore who was born March 8th 1849 
and died March 15th 1918.
They were first cousins. He was the son of Harriet (b.1815). William was a Naval Surveyor, Sub-lieutenant in 1868; He served in the Mediterranean in 1870; then in Fiji, Australia and China. (1879-1900). He pioneered surveying by telegraphic signals and reported on the world's largest  tidal bore of Qiantang River, China. He retired as Vice-Admiral, settling at Western Parade, Southsea.
Western Parade, Southsea in 1896
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle described him as "among the greatest of psychic researchers", a subject to which he devoted the last 20 years of his life. He had a "spirit companion and guide" called Iola.

<<<<<< Spirit image of Iola by the Bang sisters (see below).
(Image held by the Portsmouth Temple of Spiritualism)
He traveled to America with Maria to meet and test the famous mediums May and Lizzie Bangs first in 1909 and again in 1911. Their sťances and ghost images had become notorious. Shortly afterwards they were prosecuted for fraud. He communicated with his recently dead relations including uncle Major, brother in law, Henry, brother John and sister Catherine.
His books include:  
The cosmos and the creed [1903];  American spiritualism;  Glimpses of the next state (The education of an agnostic) (1911);   The voices [1913];  Spirit Identity by the Direct Voice (1914)

An  image of Iola, spirit guide of Vice-Admiral Usborne Moore was produced by precipitation on January 22nd 1909 through the mediumship of May and Elizabeth Bangs, who sat under test conditions. The Admiral faced the canvas between them during the process at close range. When the portrait was finished the whole picture turned one hundred and eighty degrees so that the profile of the face, faced the opposite way. It was presented to the temple by Mrs Usborne Moore.

William records "Two thin canvasses were stretched on wooden frames and covered with thin paper and were placed face to face and held up to the window. The blind was drawn to the top of the canvasses and curtains hung up in my presence on either side. The window has a southern aspect, and the light coming in through the two semi-transparent canvasses is sufficient for the purposes of taking notes and seeing everything that goes on. The small oak table was lengthways in the window; the bottom of the canvasses rests upon it. May Bangs sat on my right side, facing me, and pinching together her right hand one side of the canvasses; Lizzie Bangs on my left side, facing me and pinching together the other side of the canvasses with her left hand. I faced the middle of the canvasses, my nose being between two feet and two feet six inches from them. After a few minutes the canvas assumed various hues, rosy, blue and brown; it would become dark and light independently of the sun being clouded or not. On the morning of the 20th January 1909 I went to the Bang sisters for a profile portrait of Iola as arranged on the 18th. Everything was ready at 10.50am and we sat until 11.30am. I had in my pocket a carte-de-visite of Iola taken in the year 1874. The mediums had never seen this or any other photograph in my possession. Fifteen minutes after we sat in the window the face and bust appeared; the portrait was looking to the right, precisely the same aspect as it has now, framed, hanging in my room. Remember, I was looking through the back of the picture, and it was forming on the further side of that one of the two canvasses nearer to me; consequently, had it gone on as it was and been finished, it would now (when framed) be profile left. When the portrait was nearly finished the two canvasses were lowered towards me on to the table.  A telegraphic came by taps to May Bangs, who said: "she wants this picture for your wife especially, as well as for you. She thinks that your wife would prefer to see her in the pose to which she is accustomed". Up went the canvasses again to the window, and I found that the whole picture was changed round, so that the profile looked to the left instead of the right. In a few minutes the portrait was completed, May Bangs remarking "she says she cannot put in the hand". From the time the face and bust first appeared to the time the canvasses were separated and the finished picture put on the sofa in the next room, twenty five minutes had elapsed".