Thirkleby Hall

                             
Thirkleby Hall is an elegant modern mansion, erected by Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart., in the Italian style, from the designs of Mr. James Wyatt, architect. It is situated on a gentle eminence on the north-west side of the village of Thirsk, in the midst of a spacious and well-wooded park. The old hall, which was a quaint Jacobean mansion, was demolished on the erection of the present one, but the beautiful avenue of Scotch firs which formed its approach, is still a picturesque feature. In the immediate vicinity of the hall are some fine specimens of the carnivorous tree, the cedar of Lebanon, Wellingtonia Gigantia, and purple beeches. A short distance from the east front is a small artificial lake, covering about three acres, and in a wood about 1 miles distant is a wild duck decoy, both formed about five years ago. The house commands some lovely views of the beautiful scenery around. Towards the east lie the Hambleton Hills and the gigantic form of the White Horse, shaped out of the hill side, can be distinctly seen. On the south the view takes in the churches of Topcliffe and Baldersby, and from the roof of the house York's grey tower can be seen rising above the horizon. The hall is now the property and residence of Lady Payne-Frankland, who, after the death of her husband, Sir William Payne-Gallwey, assumed the name of Frankland in lieu of Gallwey.
The Frankland family were possessed of lands in Ickeringill in the parish of Skipton, soon after the Conquest. The name first appears in connection with Thirkleby in the early part of the 17th century, when William Frankland, Esq., who twice represented Thirsk in parliament, was seated here. Sir Henry Frankland, Knight, was the next owner of Thirkleby. He was succeeded by his son, Sir William Frankland, who represented Thirsk in three parliaments, and was created a baronet by Charles II. in 1660. His son, Sir Thomas, the second baronet, married Elizabeth, the youngest daughter of Sir John Russell, Bart., of Chippenham, in the county of Cambridge, by Frances, Oliver Cromwell's youngest daughter. He was succeeded by his son, Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart., who represented Thirsk in five successive parliaments.
 He died in 1747, leaving two daughters; Betty, married to John Morley Trevor, Esq., and Dinah, who married George Henry Lee, earl of Lichfield, a remarkable alliance, as the countess was descended in the fourth degree from Oliver Cromwell, and the earl in the same degree from King Charles I. In the absence of male issue the title descended to his nephew, Charles Henry Frankland, who was for many years Collector of His Majesty's Customs at the port of Boston (America), and was afterwards Consul General to Portugal. He was in Lisbon at the time of the great earthquake, in 1755, and was, for one hour, buried beneath the ruins, but providentially escaped. Sir Charles Henry, dying without issue, he was succeeded by his brother, Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart., who distinguished himself in the naval service, and became an Admiral of the White. He sat in five successive parliaments for the Borough of Thirsk, and died in 1784. He was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart., who was also elected M.P. for Thirsk. He died in 1831, and was succeeded by his only surviving son, Sir Robert Frankland, Bart., who assumed the name of Russell in addition to his own on succeeding to the estates of Sir Robert Grenhill Russell, in 1836. He sat in parliament as member for Thirsk from 1815 to 1834, and was high sheriff of Yorkshire in 1838. He married Louisa Anne, daughter of the Right Hon. and Right Rev. Lord George Murray, bishop of St. David's, and died in 1849. Leaving no male issue he was succeeded in the title by his cousin, Sir Frederick William Frankland, the eighth and present baronet, but the estates descended to his daughters. Emily Anne, the third daughter, married the late Sir William Payne-Gallwey, Bart., the son and successor of the first baronet (created in 1812), who assumed the name of Gallwey in addition to Payne, in 1814. Sir William died December 19th, 1881, and was succeeded in the title by his eldest son, Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey, Bart., Thirkleby Park, who married Lady Payne-Frankland, widow of the late Sir William Payne-Gallwey, after the death of her husband substituted, by royal license, the name of Frankland for Gallwey.