The Osbornes of Ashford          

This page attempts to shed light on the enigma of the use of the Arms of the Osborne family by the Staplehurst Usbornes.

The arms first appear on an Usborne (Thomas b.1640) tomb in 1686 which is eight years before George Osborne became the first Duke of Leeds.

Arms of the Osborne family Dukes of Leeds >>>>

The Osborne tree starts with Richard who married Elizabeth Tyldene. Tyldens is the name of a manor at Marden (nr Staplehurst) and of a family who lived there. Their son Richard lived at Ashford, 14 miles from Staplehurst. The Coat of Arms was granted to Richard's son Edward at the Heralds visitation of London in 1568. Edward was knighted in 1583/4 on becoming Lord Mayor of London.
Edward's great-grandson, Thomas was created first Duke of Leeds in 1694.                  

Arms used by William Usborne
of Staplehurst around 1700

From Staplehurst Pedigree 1750?
From the tomb of Thomas Usborne (1640-1668)
Lumley Chapel
Church of St. Dunstan's Cheam.

From the memorial plaque in Staplehurst Church to Edward Usborne in 1765

Engraved on a silver tray in 1907. See Claude (b.1872)
from the Canadian branch.

From Usborne Family Tree by David (b.1939) circa 1980