used by various
branches of the family.
Virtus vincit invidiam.
(Virtue conquers Vice).
Pax in Bello.
(Peace in war).
Arms of Henry (b1778) in Cowlinge Church, Suffolk.
Two Usborne grants are
The Pax in Bello arms were registered at the Heralds Visitation of
London in 1568 to Edward Osborne. He was
knighted in 1583/4 on becoming Lord Mayor of London. Edward's
great-grandson, Thomas was created Duke of Leeds in 1694. Their pedigree in Thoresby's
"Leeds" begins with Richard Osborne, Sir Edward's father.
Richard married Elizabeth Tyldene from Marden and they lived
at Ashford, which is just fourteen miles from Staplehurst.
information has been kindly supplied by Robin Fletcher from research in
College of Arms:
"A coat of arms consists of arms (the blazon), crest and motto, and the crest and motto go with the arms. Arms are granted by the College of Arms and are the property of the grantee and, depending on the wording of the original grant, others eligible to use them would be his descendants and sometimes other descendants of his parents or grand-parents. Anyone can invent a crest and use it as they like, but it would have no validity, without being granted and registered by the College of Arms. It is illegal to use someone else's arms and in the past people have been prosecuted for so doing".
|Note that the image on the right above (Henry's coat of arms) is to be found on a diamond shaped plaque 1½m square in Cowlinge Church, Suffolk. Such "Funeral Hatchments", combining the arms of husband and wife, were painted specifically on the death of prominent gentry to be carried at the front of the funeral procession and placed in church as a permanent memorial. Many of these have the inscription "RESURGAM" (I will arise). The colour of the background, black or white to left or right, depends on whether the husband survives the wife or vice versa.|
|St Olaves Church, Hart Street in
the City of London miraculously survived the Great Fire of 1666, another
disastrous fire in 1843 and major damage in the Blitz of 1940. Here can be
found the coat of arms adopted by
Major Usborne in the right hand light of the middle window (of three), known as the Church-wardens' window in the north
It is described: