Henry Usborne was one of nineteen directors of
The Canada Company which was incorporated in England in 1826 with a specific mission to develop certain lands in Ontario and bring a return on investment to its shareholders.
Mission accomplished, the Company was finally dissolved in 1953 and the license cancelled on Sept.11, 1961.
|Their aim was to open up 1.1 million acres, soon to be known as the Huron Tract stretching westerly to Lake Huron from Guelph. The land was to be parceled into 100 acre plots for resale. John Galt was in charge and chose Dr. William "Tiger" Dunlop, warden of the forests for the Canada Co., as his right-hand man. In April 1827, Galt, Dunlop, and Charles Prior, with groups of axemen and chainbearers, entered the|
|Halton Block. On
April 23, at a sunset ceremony, a large maple was felled to mark the
site of the new town, Guelph. Once Guelph was established, Galt sent an
exploring party through the forest tract to Wilmot Township on June 27,
1827. This expedition blazed a path that developed into the Bridle Road
-- the Canada Company's first road.